All four SD49 communities will be holding school board elections this fall. In our last newsletter article , we outlined the city council offices up for election or re-election this year and how you could register for them. In this article, we will cover the local school board races.
If you are willing to step up and help lead your local school board, consider your options over the next few weeks. To be successful, you will need to start soon to recruit a small but dedicated team, put a campaign plan and budget together, and consider raising some money.
These races are generally nonpartisan, but we may be able to help you get started. Contact us and we’ll talk.
Continue reading for more information on local school board races in Edina, Bloomington, Eden Prairie and Minnetonka, including how you can register to run. Take note that school district boundaries aren't precisely aligned with city boundaries or Senate District boundaries, especially for Edina.
Edina School Board
Three (3) of seven (7) Edina School Board members will be up for re-election in 2019. The board members completing their terms include Leny Wallen-Friedman (Chair), Sarah Patzloff (Vice Chair), and Amir Gharbi. All school board members run “at-large” for four year terms.
In the past, the filing window has been the first 2 weeks of August, but prospective candidates should rely on the July 5, 2019 public announcement for details. Prospective Candidates should plan to file with the school district clerk of Edina Public Schools, Edina School Board Office, located in the Edina Community Center, 5701 Normandale Rd, Edina.
Key Edina Public School resources:
- Date of Public Announcement & Where Posted: July 5, 2019; Edina Sun-Current and the District's website https://www.edinaschools.org/Page/5041
- To learn more about the Edina School Board, go to: https://www.edinaschools.org/Page/5225,
- To learn more about the filing process, go to: https://www.edinaschools.org/Page/3909,
- If you would like to contact the entire school board on a local school board issue, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. All members will receive your email, and the Board Clerk will respond on behalf of the Board. You may send mail for the Board, collectively or individually, to: Edina Public Schools, 5701 Normandale Road, Edina MN 55424.
Bloomington School Board
The Bloomington School Board will have three (3) openings in 2019. Maureen Bartolotta, Dick Bergstrom and Nelly Korman are completing their four-year terms. Candidates for these positions will run “at-large”.
According to the Bloomington School District’s Election’s webpage, the filing period is tentatively scheduled to start on July 30, 2019, and close on Aug. 15, 2019, at 5 p.m. Filings will be accepted at the Educational Services Center, 1350 W. 106th St., Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. (until 5 p.m. Aug. 15). The filing fee is $2.
Key Bloomington Public School resources:
- Date of Public Announcement & Where Posted: July 5, 2019; Bloomington Sun-Current and the District's website https://www.bloomington.k12.mn.us
- Frequency of Elections: https://www.bloomington.k12.mn.us/node/208020
- School Board information: https://www.bloomington.k12.mn.us/about-us/school-board/,
- Current School Board members: https://www.bloomington.k12.mn.us/about-us/school-board/school-board-members/,
- School Board elections: https://www.bloomington.k12.mn.us/about-us/school-board/school-board-elections/.
- Questions relating to the filing procedures or reporting, contact Jennifer Hazel at 952-681-6421.
Eden Prairie School Board
The Eden Prairie School Board has three members whose terms end this year. Dave Espe, Adam Seidel, and Lauren Crandall served four year terms. Candidates for these positions will run “at-large”.
A candidate for the school board must meet the following qualifications:
- Be at least 21-years-old at the time the term of office begins
- Have resided in the school district for 30 days prior to the election
- Be an eligible voter, which includes the requirement that the individual be a citizen of the United States.
Affidavits of candidacy are available from the District’s Administrative Services Center at 8100 School Road, Eden Prairie. The candidate filing period is open from July 30 to August 13, 2019 at 5 p.m. The filing fee for this office is $2. A candidate for school board must not have any other affidavit on file for any other elected office during the same general election.
Currently, Adam Seidel is a School Board Member (serving as the School Board Clerk), email@example.com, (952) 221-5918, Mr. Seidel may be a useful contact in learning more about next year’s Eden Prairie School Board elections.
Key Eden Prairie School Board resources:
- Date of Public Announcement & Where Posted: July 5, 2019; Eden Prairie Sun-Current and the District's website https://www.edenpr.org/Page/2989
- School Board elections: contact Laurie Hemstock at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 952-975-7072.
- An information session on becoming a School Board Candidate will be held on or about Aug. 9, 2019.
Minnetonka School Board
The Minnetonka Public School District anticipates four openings on the School Board in the 2019 election cycle. Lisa Wagner, Katie Becker, Lisa Sumner, and Mark Ambrosen served four-year terms. Candidates for these positions will run “at-large”.
In the past, the filing window has been the first 2 weeks of August, but prospective candidates should rely on the July 5, 2019 public announcement for details. Prospective candidate should plan to file their paperwork in person with the School Board Clerk, Debra Hoffmann, at the Minnetonka Public School’s District Service Center at 5621 County Road 101, Minnetonka, MN 55345.
Key Minnetonka School Board resources:
- Date of Public Announcement & Where Posted: July 5, 2019; Minnetonka Sun Sailor and the School Board Election’s Page: https://www.minnetonkaschools.org/district/leadership/board/elections
- Current School Board members: https://www.minnetonkaschools.org/district/leadership/board/
- To contact the School Board, email: email@example.com. All Board members will receive your correspondence; the Board Chair or Vice Chair will respond to emails on behalf of the Board.
- For more information, please contact
- the Clerk of the Minnetonka Public School Board at 952-401-5000.
- the School Board Clerk for School Board Elections, Debra Hoffmann: 952-401-5033; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org