Are you interested in ways to serve your community? Are you looking for a stepping-stone to elected office? This is the time of year when our local governments seek applications from people willing to serve, often in volunteer capacities. Be aware that some deadlines for applications are fast-approaching.
Continue reading for more information on Commissions and Advisory Boards in Hennepin County, Edina, Bloomington, Eden Prairie, and Minnetonka.
Hennepin County Advisory Boards
There are 15 Hennepin County Advisory Boards. This year, there are openings on eight (8) of the Citizen Advisory Boards (CABs). Selected fields include: health care, mental health, law, business, community development, agriculture, job development, and working with low-income people.
- Adult Mental Health Advisory Council (11 vacancies)
- County Extension Committee (U of M Extension Division) (4 vacancies)
- Community Action Partnership of Hennepin County (2 vacancies)
- Human Resources Board (3 vacancies)
- Hennepin County Library Board of Directors (3 vacancies)
- Mental Commitment Attorney Panel Advisory Board (1 vacancy)
- Three Rivers Park District Board of Commissioners (1 vacancy)
- Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act Board (3 vacancies)
Some of these CABs offer monetary compensation. All applications must be submitted on-line. CLICK HERE to research the various CABs, brief job description, contact person, and the two-step procedure for creating an account and then downloading the application.
The filing deadline for all CAB vacancies is December 31st, 2018 at 11:59 PM. Prospective CAB candidates who need help with this procedure can contact the Clerk of the County Board at 612-348-3081 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
City of Edina City Commissions & Advisory Boards
The City of Edina is looking for at least 1 applicant to serve on each of its 10 advisory boards and commissions. The exact number of vacancies won’t be revealed until December 31st or thereabouts.
Boards & Commissions include:
- Arts & Culture Commission
- Board of Appeal & Equalization
- Community Health Commission
- Construction Board of Appeals
- Energy & Environment Commission
- Heritage Preservation Commission
- Human Rights & Relations Commission
- Parks & Recreation Commission
- Planning Commission
- Transportation Commission
General information on the application period for Edina advisory boards and commissions can be found by CLICKING HERE. On or about January 1st, a link to the application form will be added to the Volunteer Edina webpage, under the “Applications” tab. The application period will run from January 1st to January 31st, 2019.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and own or rent in Edina to participate. Most appointments are three years in length.
For more information about City of Edina Boards and Commissions, contact Ms. MJ Lamon, Community Engagement Coordinator.
In addition to the 10 CABs listed above, Edina currently has at least one Task Force, The Race & Equity Task Force & Working Group. Notably, it partners with the City’s Human Rights & Relations Commission, the EPS Race & Equity Task Force, the City’s Race & Equity Initiative, and outside consulting groups.
City of Bloomington City Commissions & Advisory Boards
Current Bloomington CAB openings.
Advisory Board of Health (2 Openings)
Charter Commission (3 Openings)
Creative Placemaking Commission (2 Openings)
HRA Commission (1 Opening)
Human Rights Commission (4 Openings)
Parks, Arts & Recreation Commission (2 Openings)
Planning Commission (none)
Port Authority (1 Opening)
CLICK HERE for more info and an application. Based on the information at THIS LINK , applications will be accepted through mid-January. However, at the last city council meeting, the council decided to be more flexible with the start and ends dates dependent upon the response from citizens. For More information call Deb Smith, Assistant to the City Manager at: call 952-563-8780.
City of Eden Prairie Commissions & Advisory Boards
The City of Eden Prairie has 6 City Commissions & Advisory Boards as follows:
- Conservation Commission (~ 1 vacancy)
- Flying Cloud Airport Advisory Commission (~ 1 vacancy)
- Heritage Preservation Commission (~ 1 vacancy)
- Human Rights & Diversity Commission (~ 5 vacancies)
- Parks, Recreation, & Natural Resources Commission (~ 1 vacancy)
- Planning Commission (~ 2 vacancies)
Information regarding 2019 openings will be made public on or about January 10th. It will be posted on the city's website HERE . This page will display a list of confirmed openings and a link to an application form. Prospective candidates can find out more about each commission by clicking on the links on the left-hand margin of the webpage. The deadline for submitting applications will be about February 10th, 2019. Interviews with the City Mayor and City Council will be conducted from mid-February to mid-March. Terms begin April 1 and end March 31 each year.
Interested applicants should call the Eden Prairie City Commissions Coordinator Katie O'Connor at 952-949-8412 for more information.
The city also creates ad hoc task forces and advisory committees on an “as needed” basis such as the LRT Advisory Committee and the Senior Citizens Advisory Committee.
City of Minnetonka Commissions & Advisory Boards
The city is currently seeking applicants for the following:
- Senior Citizen Advisory Board – three open positions. CLICK HERE for a brief description of what this advisory board does.
- Park Board – two open positions. CLICK HERE for a brief description of what this advisory board does.
The published deadline for applications was December 3rd, 2018. However, to see if an extension can be granted or for more information, contact the Minnetonka City Clerk, at 952-939-8211. Completed applications must be sent to Pat Schutrop at email@example.com, or 14600 Minnetonka Blvd., Minnetonka, MN 55345.